Saturday, June 9, 2012

Tournament Weekend Three, Hardball Baseball Showcase

Today we headed an hour south to Vero Beach for the Hardball Baseball Showcase.  We had two games today and both went very well.  TP played hard and well, once again proving that they are contenders whenever they step on the field.

The first game got off to a shaky start, with the other team scoring three runs in the top of the first inning.  After that though, our boys got their mojo going and started fighting back.  Their bats were swinging well and their defense was solid.  Every player was giving his all, playing hard the entire game.  They won that game 8-4 in six and a half innings.

After a break of two hours, it was back to the field for warm ups for the second game.  TP's bats weren't as hot as they'd been in the first game and they were down 1-0 for the majority of the game.  Finally in the 6th inning, J was pinch running for the catcher and scored on a beautiful line drive double hit by the third baseman.  They held the opposing team in the bottom of the sixth, but then the umps called the game due to an impending severe storm.  The game ended in a 1-1 tie, but I think our boys would have pulled off another run or two if they'd had the time.

Overall, the TP boys played extremely well and Coach C is very pleased with them.  Today's games bring their record to 7 wins - 2 losses- 2 ties.

So how did J personally do you might be wondering?  Especially since I recently posted about the issues he's been having.  I'm happy to report he did very well today, at least in my opinion.  I haven't discussed his performance with Coach C yet, but I imagine he's pleased with him.  He played first base in the first game and did very well, with no errors.  He had three at bats, with one hit by pitch and two walks.  He was annoyed because he'd rather get a hit than take a walk.  But his on base percentage was fantastic so there's the silver lining. In the second game he did duty as pinch runner for the catcher.  He did make a blunder there, and was off on his timing running the bases, causing him to get tagged out at third.   Coach C was pretty steamed at him since it's the kind of error he's trying to teach J to avoid and play smarter.  However, I think he redeemed himself when he hauled butt from first to home in the 6th inning to score the only run of the game.  I wish I'd had my camera out to shoot some pictures as he rounded third, headed for home.  The look of pure determination on his face was awesome.  I'm anxious to get Coach C's thoughts on how he did.  I think he did great, but I'm his mom, not his coach.  I asked him how he'd rate his performance on a scale of 1-10 and he gave himself a 7.

So there it is.  TP is having a fabulous summer season so far.  Next up, they head to Boca Raton for the FAU Showdown tournament.  We'll be missing that one since we're traveling to Virginia for Cousin B's high school graduation.  But I'll  be checking in with Coach C for updates which I'll be sure to share.  Or maybe I'll ask Coach C to do a guest post and write the recap for that tournament himself.

No comments: