Wednesday, March 11, 2009

She strikes again

A had a bit of a rough night. She woke up a few times during the night, witht eh last time being at 5am. She fell back asleep on the couch by 6am. I got J and N up at 6:30 and we all tiptoed around in the dark so as not to wake her. Miraculously she stayed asleep and after they left I laid back down myself. She ended up sleeping til almost 10:30. A wanted to watch a movie and eat popcorn. I figured what the hell. Why not? I fixed her a bowl of popcorn, complete with a tiny sprinkle of buttery popcorn oil and started a movie for her. I then went about catching up on my chores since I spent the morning catching up on sleep. All was well til A asked for more butter on her popcorn. I told her she had plenty and then made my fatal mistake. I turned my back for longer than thirty seconds. While I made beds, she silently slid a chair to the pantry, climbed up, and got not the half used bottle of buttery popcorn oil, but the brand new one. She slid the chair back, removed the lid and the seal from the bottle. And poured the whole thing over her bowl of popcorn. Then she nicely offered to share with me. At least this time, none got on the floor. It all went neatly in the bowl. I gritted my teeth, dumped the popcorn, and gave her a time out. You'd think I'd learn by now that I can't turn my back on this kid for a split second. Or to never, ever leave the latch on the pantry door undone. Maybe I'll learn about the time A learns it is not mandatory to get into something every time my back is turned.

No comments: