Sunday, July 24, 2011

One More Step Down the Path

Today my mom and I drove J to the University of Florida for a four day baseball camp.  And I'm having a major mommy moment over it.  Now, to some it might seem like going to a camp is just another summer activity.  And maybe for some boys it is.  But for J, it goes a bit deeper than that.  UF is currently his top college pick. He wants to play baseball at UF.  He wants to play baseball for the New York Yankees.  In short, he wants to live every boys MLB fantasy.  And today he took another step towards achieving his dreams.  When we got to the stadium and checked him in, it was like a light switch had been flipped inside him.  He couldn't wait to take the field.  As we dealt with all the practicalities of getting his key, getting him settled in his dorm room, eating lunch, he just kept wanting to get back to the field.  When it was finally time he listened with rapt attention to the orientation given by the coaches.  Every so often he'd shoot a glance at me and nod as if to say, "See mom, I know I can do this.  This is where I'm meant to be."  As I watched, it hit me that in three short years, J's dream of college baseball may very well become a reality.  He believes it can happen, Coach C believes it can happen, and oh yeah.  I believe it can happen.  Something happens to J when he steps onto a baseball field.  He walks a little taller, carries himself with just a tad more confidence, and his face radiates pure happiness.  Baseball is his heart, and there are few with a bigger heart than my J.  So, I've been a little misty eyed today, picturing my tiny boy who first told me he wanted to be a ball player, and envisioning my soon to be grown son who is rapidly becoming a ball player. Whether it ends up being UF or some other school, J is determined to make his dream a reality.  And today I had a glimpse of just how hard he's willing to work to make it happen.     

2 comments:

Steph said...

Great blog Sandy!!! You're such a good mama!

Sandy said...

Aw Steph! You're going to make me cry some more!