Monday, October 10, 2011

Long Distance Training

Today J begins week eight of his training program.  He's doing great and I spend a lot of time bragging on him.  The other day I was telling someone about his program and she had a question.  How does Coach C coach and train J when he is three hours away at college?  Easier than you might think.  Before returning to school, Coach C gave J written instructions for all of the workouts he's doing.  Those sheets are kept in a folder, along with the workout log I made to track his progress.  His eating program fills a three ring binder and is kept with the workout folder.  Coach C took the time to explain everything to us and demonstrate the exercises he wanted J doing.  Obviously, he can't monitor the workouts from school, so that's where hubby and I come in.  I prep and prepare all of J's food, making sure he is eating the right foods.  I also monitor the amount he's eating.  Hubby takes him to the gym or monitors his workouts at home.  On days he runs or works out at home I sometimes monitor if hubby is at work. J will tell you that I am much harder on him than hubby is.  Hubby will only push so far if J is being lazy or stubborn.  I show no mercy.  I like to remind him that Coach C would show no mercy either.   Once a week I send Coach C a detailed report of how everything is going via email.  I include J's current weight and measurements, how the workouts went, how the eating went, etc.  Coach C then lets us know whether or not to change something up, answers any questions we might have, and offers J encouragement.  We can also text or call him if the need arises.  There have been times when I posted a picture on facebook of J at a game and Coach C will look at it and offer advice on something J could do to improve.  Even long distance, he's a terrific coach.   His support and encouragement mean the world to J and to hubby and I, too.   A few weeks back Coach C texted me to say he was home for the weekend and would be at TP's scrimmage game.  Unfortunately, J had a big swim meet that day and we missed the game.  Hopefully we'll manage to get together with Coach C sometime soon so he can see for himself the progress J has made.  Until then, we'll continue to rely on email, texts, and phone calls to  communicate and keep J on the right track.

No comments: