Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Tales of a TP Team Mom

I love being a part of TP.  I'm thankful that J has the opportunity to play on a such a high caliber team, with an awesome coach.  I enjoy making friends with the other parents and getting to know all the players.   I'm especially enjoying this year since Coach C is graciously allowing me to indulge my inner team mom to my heart's content.    I decided to share some of my favorite parts of being the TP team mom.

1.) I get to spoil the boys.  I love to bake and who better to appreciate my efforts than a team full of hungry baseball players.  As often as I can, I bake goodies to bring to tournaments for the boys to munch on between games, or just hanging out in the hotels.  For the Fort Myers tournament I baked ten dozen cookies and they plowed through the majority of them over the course of the weekend.  Since I was busy with wrapping up the school year and A's recital I didn't have time to bake for them this past weekend.  But they'll have goodies this coming weekend when we head to Vero Beach.  

2.) I get to keep score during the games.  The fact that I'm enjoying this one surprises me.  I've never kept score before and have no clue how to do it in a traditional score book.  But Coach C uses a scoring app on his ipad and asked me a few weeks back if I'd be willing to learn how to run it.  So far so good.  I haven't screwed it up, at least, not that Coach C has told me!  He keeps handing me the ipad before games so I guess I must doing okay with it.  I enjoy doing it because it helps me learn more about the ins and outs of the game.  Since baseball is such a huge part of J's life it makes sense for me to be able to follow it and carry on conversations with him about it.

3.)   I'm the keeper of the swing juice.  What is swing juice?  Swing juice is Coach C's name for the beverage they all swig from during games to bring them good luck hitting.  Truth be told, it's really just raspberry green tea Crystal Light.  Shh, don't tell the boys, Coach C has them convinced it's a top secret blend of ingredients.  I started bringing it along in the cooler because I know Coach C loves it and he usually ends up needing extra drinks during games.  This past weekend I made him a gallon jug and before I knew it, the entire team was swigging from it.  Kind of disgusting I know. But they hit like their bats were on fire so who am I to mess with their superstition.  I'll now be toting a jug of swing juice to each and every game in the special jug I bought to hold it. A wanted to deck it out with sparkly letters spelling out swing juice but I went with basic black letters.  Didn't want to girly the team up too much.  

4.)  I love taking pictures of the team to post for all the parents.  Unfortunately I haven't taken as many I'd like lately because I'm busy scoring.  Luckily another mom also enjoys taking pictures and has been taking care of it.  I'm determined to master running the scoring app and my camera at the same time though.  Last year I made a slide show of the best pictures from the season and plan to do one this year as well.

5.)  I get to plan the team picnic.  Last year's picnic was a huge success and I can't wait to get started planning one for this year.

So there you go, some of my favorite parts of being TP's team mom.  I love to volunteer and be involved in all of the activities my kids are involved in, from school to extracurriculars.  I enjoy all of it,  but TP is near and dear to my heart.  I plan to enjoy every minute of this summer season with Coach C and the boys.

No comments: