Sunday, January 13, 2013

Kicking Off the Baton Season

As everyone knows, I spend a good portion of my life at baseball fields, watching J play.  I truly love every minute of it.  Well, maybe not washing loads of stinky uniforms, but even that doesn't diminish my enjoyment of watching J do what he loves the most.  However, I'm a girly girl at heart, and there are times when I just need to indulge that side of my nature.  And nothing fits the bill better than spending the day with A at baton competition, dressing her up in numerous cute costumes, fixing her hair, and watching my sassy girl strut her stuff.  This is A's second year on the baton team, an activity she thoroughly enjoys.  Yesterday was the first competition of the season, and A had a fabulous time, coming home with several trophies.  For those that don't know, baton competitions are an all day affair.  The day begins with group routines, followed by individual events in marching, modeling, and twirling.  A was in three group routines yesterday: a pom routine with ten other girls, a small group twirling routine with three other girls, and a large group twirling routine with the entire team.   She then competed individually in dress modeling, costume modeling, basic and military marching, and for the title of Strut Queen, for which she had to march and model a costume.  I'm pleased to report that the girls took first place for their pom routine, and second place for both the small and large group routines.   Our team also had other small and large group routines that all placed as well.  Individually, A took third place for dress modeling, 2nd place for costume modeling and basic marching, and 1st place for military marching.  She also took 1st place for Strut Queen in her age category, which really thrilled her.  She also loves all of the costumes, hairstyles, and accessories that go along with each routine and I have to admit, I do, too.  She wore a total of six different costumes yesterday, plus a fancy dress for dress modeling.  Each one is cute in its own unique way but I do have two personal favorites, simply because they suit A's personality so well.  The first one is her baseball dress, pictured here:

A is quite the little baseball fan, as everyone knows, and this baseball dress fits her sassy personality perfectly.  She modeled this yesterday for the costume modeling portion of Strut Queen.  She decided on a sassy modeling walk and strutted right up to the judge, cocked her hip, and blew a kiss.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera ready to capture it.  But let's just say the performance cemented her title as the baseball princess.

Which brings me to my absolute favorite costume.  She got this one for Christmas, so yesterday was the first time she wore it in competition.  Here it is:

Is this not the cutest thing ever?!  Not only is A a baseball fan, she's become quite the Florida Gator fan as well.  Her daddy likes to think it's because he's a lifelong Gator fan.  But we all know it really has more to do with a certain baseball coach who attends the University of Florida.  A had been saying she wanted a Gator twirling costume and this one couldn't be more perfect for her.  I ordered it from Kenerly Kreations, who make the most beautiful custom baton and figure skating costumes. You can't see it in the picture, but she has a coordinating hair accessory in her hair.  The majorette boots were also part of her Christmas gift, and I think I love those even more than I love the costume.  The entire ensemble is just so A, if you know what I mean.  She wore this for marching yesterday, though in the future it will also be for her presentation routine, which is a short solo.  In the meantime, our little Gator girl strutted her stuff in style during her marching events.  And everyone loved the boots.

Yesterday was my 40th birthday, and I thoroughly enjoyed spending it with my little girl, indulging our girly sides.  She's becoming quite the little twirler, so I expect we'll be participating in baton for many years to come.

No comments: