Sunday, May 19, 2013

Showcase Countdown

Where will you be two weeks from today?  I know where I'll be; watching J at his very first showcase.  That's right.  In two weeks, J will be out on the field, being coached and evaluated by college coaches and scouts.  All the years of hard work, training, triumphs, and disappointments, will come together in a single weekend as my baby goes out there and takes a shot at the next stage of his life's dream.  He, as always, is cool as a cucumber, quietly confident in his ability to do a good job.  I, as always, have nerves enough for both of us.  Along with the nerves comes excitement.  He's worked for this for so long and we are so proud of him for never giving up on a dream that may never happen.  The showcase is a weekend long affair.  The day before, J, hubby, myself, my dad, and Coach C will travel the four or so hours to the showcase location so we can get J settled and well rested before his big day.  That evening there is early check in, followed by a college recruiting seminar.  Then the next morning, J will report to the field for a workout and evaluation, followed by games that afternoon and the next day. Hopefully, one or more of the coaches watching will recognize everything J has to offer a team.

Back to those nerves of mine and J's lack thereof. I think he's able to bury the nerves for the most part for a couple of reasons.  First, I worry enough for everybody.  J often tells me I worry so he doesn't have to.  Second, he will have his greatest support system in tow.  J knows that hubby and I support him 110%, and will continue to do so, no matter what.  But along with us, he'll have the two most influential people in his baseball career with him.  My dad fostered the love J has for the game from the time he was a tiny baby.  He taught, coached, and encouraged for many years.  He doesn't say much but I know it means a lot to him to be there when J takes this monumental step.  Last but not least, having Coach C there is just the way it should be.  His coaching, training , and support mean the world to J, and being able to look up from that field and see Coach C there supporting him will effectively bury any lingering nerves J may have.  Hubby, my dad, and Coach C may not share my nerves when J takes the field, but I know they'll share my pride.  Pride and love for a young man who has quietly worked towards a dream that is so close he can almost reach out and grab it.

 


No comments: