Friday, July 16, 2010

Love of the Game

I believe I mentioned several months back that J was selected to attend a professional baseball training camp in Massachusetts this summer.  He's been preparing for camp for several months and the time is almost here for him to go.  He leaves Tuesday for his five day intensive training camp.  Today we received a welcome packet via email that contained his detailed itinerary and the player roster.  I had a major mom moment and got sniffly when I saw his name listed.  Baseball is his dream and getting selected for this camp is the first step towards that goal.  He's played since he was five and has shared a lifelong bond with his grandpa.  My dad has coached him, supported him, and most of all, encouraged his love of the game.  So it seemed only fitting to my mom and I that my dad fly up and watch the last few camp sessions next weekend.  Families are welcome to attend and watch, though the players are under the supervision of the coaches at all times.  So my dad will get to see him participate in workouts, agility training, and play in a game.  J is at the point where it's time for him to spread his wings.  He's moving on from Little League into the more competitive world of high school and travel ball.  His grandpa has been with him every step of the way, so he should be there to see these first steps down a new path.  A path that hopefully leads where the two of them have dreamed for the past fourteen years. 

No comments: