Friday, February 10, 2012

Number Four

J, like many baseball players, tends to be very superstitious about his number.  I've written previously about the origin of his number, 27.  Unfortunately when school jerseys were handed out this week, there was no number 27.  J's usual back up plan if 27 is not available is to get either number 2 or number 7.  Well, 2 is retired at his school and there was no 7.  At this point he was looking a bit like a deer caught in headlights at the prospect of not having his number.  His next idea was to at least get the number of a Yankee player, past or present.  He tried on number 14 and still didn't seem happy.  Then the coach pulled out the number 4 and I suggested to J that he try that one.  4 was the number of a very famous Yankee, Lou Gehrig, whose story has significance to our family.  My grandmother had ALS, or Lou Gehrig's Disease as it is commonly known.  Gehrig's story is both sad and inspirational, and it's one that J has known from a young age.

Sadly, my grandmother passed away nearly 21 years ago, so J never knew her.  She and I were extremely close and it's always made me sad that my children never got to know her.  I know she would have loved them dearly.  I also believe that she watches over us all and is with us always in spirit.  So when J tried on the number 4 jersey and said he liked the way it fit and that he'd take that one, I took it as a sign.  A sign that the great grandmother he never knew is watching over him and will be with him every time he steps onto the field.   4 may not be his usual number, but it will do quite nicely for this season.  And even once he's back playing for TP with a 27 on his back, I know that my grandmother will still be watching over him as he continues on his journey.

No comments: