Friday, February 10, 2012

Music in the Middle

This week I had the opportunity to accompany N's class on a field trip to the symphony.  It was a special program that the symphony puts on for fifth graders every year.  N loves music, so he was particularly excited to hear the symphony perform.  During the performance I sat behind and a little to the right of N.  I was able to observe him during the performance and what I saw touched my heart.  He was completely absorbed in the music, never taking his eyes from the conductor and musicians.  N's love of music has been growing steadily these past several months.  He loves performing in both his school choir and the community children's chorus.  He received a keyboard for Christmas and has been asking to take piano lessons.  After hearing the symphony he has become interested in learning more about the various instruments.  It makes me happy to see N finding an interest that brings him such pleasure.  As the middle child he often times feels a little lost, struggling to find his niche, the way J has with baseball.  Music is giving N not only the enjoyment of singing, but the confidence and courage to embrace life to the fullest as he discovers who he is and what dreams he wants to pursue.  It won't surprise me if music ends being one of those dreams.

No comments: