Sunday, December 7, 2008

Rest in peace Nugget

A few days ago, I went to check on N's hermit crab, Nugget. Well, his name is actually Butt Nugget, but I try hard to change it to the more mannerly, Nugget. But I digress. N is prety good about making sure he keeps Nugget watered and fed, but since he's only 8, I do check behind him. Well, Nugget was out of his shell and let's just say he was looking like, well, a petrified nugget. Turns out he had recently changed shells and moved into the lovely painted shell we had provided for him. Turns out painted shells are toxic to hermit crabs. Who knew? Certainly not the pet store where I asked if the shells were safe and was assured they were. So, if there any hermit crab owners out there, pass on the painted shells. Rest in peace Butt Nugget.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was sad to read about Butt Nugget
but I truly had to laugh at the story. Now, I know why I also sent our little critters to shell heaven too. we loved the painted homes :>)
Tara Wilson