Monday, August 30, 2010

The downside of pet ownership

I not only have three human children, I have several animal children as well.  We have three dogs, Missy, Dixie, and Dakota, a cat named Andy, a turtle named Jimmy, and a guinea pig named Smores.  Yes, we're nuts! I admit to having a soft heart when it comes to animals.  Our pets are well loved and a part of our family.  That's what makes it so hard when one of them gets very sick.  Sadly, that is the case with our cat Andy. 

Two weeks ago, Andy hopped up onto my bed beside me and I noticed his nose was swollen on one side.  I called the vet and took him in.  He had a tooth abscess that required extraction.  Okay, no problem.  He had the surgery, and was sent home with a round of antibiotics. After a week, the swelling was a little better but still there.  So we did another round of antibiotics.  The swelling remained.  I called and talked to the vet and she gave us a few options.  We could do X-rays that would hopefully give us some idea of the problem.  We could do a cat scan and biopsy.  She told us to think about it over the weekend since Andy was not acting sick and was eating and drinking normally.  In the meantime, he finished his antibiotic and the over the weekend the swelling got worse.  Now his lip was swollen and he didn't want us to touch it.  His eye was watery and he was drooling.  I took him in this morning and sadly the vet was able to make her diagnosis.  He has a cancerous mass in his nasal cavity that is now growing down through where the tooth was extracted.  it likely caused the abscess in the first place.  Not the news I wanted to hear.  Even with very expensive treatment his prognosis is not good. The tumor is just too fast growing.  So he received a steroid shot to help with the swelling and I brought him back home.  When he shows signs of illness such as stopping eating, we will have to make the heart breaking trip back to the vet to have him put down. 

Andy is not the first pet I've had to make this decision for.  I had to make it thirteen years ago for my beloved dog that I had grown up with.  Six years ago I had to make it for the sassy cat hubby and I adopted when we were first married.  And in between, we had another cat simply pass away unexpectedly at home.  It's always heart breaking and the decision never gets easier.  I know in my heart I am making the right choice because to allow a pet to suffer is needlessly cruel.  So no matter how much my heart hurts, I will make the decision for Andy when the time comes.  I owe him for the eight years of happiness and love he has given us.


No comments: