Monday, August 9, 2010

First Day of School

Today was the first day of school for my kids.  I truly wish the summer break had been longer, but I won't get going on that topic!  This morning was one of those mornings that really drove home the age difference in my kids.  At 14, 9, and 4, they are all at very different stages in their lives.

J started high school today, which just seems surreal to me.  After ten years of catholic school(pk-8th), he didn't have to wear a uniform today.  It was very weird to see him come out dressed in regular clothes.  he was excited, a little nervous, and anxious to get going this morning.  As I watched him walking into school this morning, I was struck by the realization that my firstborn is no longer a little kid.  He's a full fledged young adult, well on his way to being all grown up. 

N is in 4th grade this year.  He's making that transition from little kid to big kid.  And he's so ready to be a big kid.  He'll celebrate his tenth birthday soon but he'd like to be much older.  I think he sometimes views the four and half years between himself and J as a challenge to grow up as fast as possible.  If older brother does it or has it, N wants his fair shot.  I never worry about N being lost in the middle.  He's a master negotiator, independent, stubborn beyond belief, and his favorite past time is arguing.  My days would be unbearably dull without him!  

And finally, A started pre-k today.  Yes, my baby is off to school.  Only half days this year, but still.  My last baby is growing up and leaving the nest, little by little.  She was so excited to start school today.  She's grown up watching her brothers go to this school and trailing after me as I volunteered.  To her way of thinking, it's about time she got to go school, too.

It's been a big day for us.  Exciting, exhausting, and full of change.  I imagine the year to come will be filled with more of the same.

No comments: