Saturday, November 5, 2011

Smores

Yesterday was a sad day in our household.  N's much loved guinea pig Smores passed away.  N got Smores for Christmas back in 2009 and from the start, Smores was a welcome addition to our family.  He had a funny, peppy personality, and we all enjoyed him.  He'd always been very healthy, but on Wednesday evening, No noticed his food dish was still entirely full.  Since Smores liked to eat, this was very unusual.  A quick inspection revealed a swollen area on Smores' jaw.  Knowing that guinea pigs' health can be delicate, I loaded up N and Smores and we visited the emergency vet.  Smores had an abscess that needed to be lanced and drained.  Everything went well at the vet, and we were sent home with antibiotics and instructions on how to care for Smores while he recovered.  Things seemed to be going well.  I was syringe feeding him pellet mash and baby food carrots since he wasn't up to eating on his own yet.   I was also making sure to give him water the same way.  His wound appeared to be healing nicely.  Unfortunately, when we came home yesterday afternoon, Smores had passed away.  I feel terrible.  Perhaps there was more I could have done.  N is pretty devastated.  He's going to miss Smores like crazy.  We all will.  I have to admit I already miss him squealing at me whenever I enter N's bedroom.  His cage is still there, per N's request.  He's not ready to pack it away just yet.  So rest peacefully our sweet Smores.  You were a treasured member of the family and will be forever missed.

No comments: