Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Year Ahead

Here we are, on the eve of the 2011/2012 school year.  For N and A anyway.  J has til Wednesday before he starts classes.  All the supplies are bought and packed in the appropriate backpacks.  Uniforms are washed and ready.  And as usual at the start of a new school year, I'm reflecting on what the year holds for my three babies.

J will be a sophomore in high school.  He has a challenging course load this year, and is really starting to think about college.  On the athletic front, he will again be swimming for the school team.  His coach fully expects he will hit his varsity times and letter this year.  And of course, he'll be playing baseball.  If the school has a fall team, he'll definitely play.  He'll also be doing the fall tournament season with TP.  Coach C is in the process of mapping out a running, lifting, core conditioning, and eating program for him.  That's all part of the three year plan to get him ready for college baseball.  He's going to be a busy kid.  I also want to make sure he has time to just enjoy being a kid. 

N will be a fifth grader this year.  School will present new challenges as he changes classes for the first time, and deals with an increase in homework.  He's a good student, so I don't foresee any problems there.  He'll be continuing with boys gymnastics and Cub Scouts, both of which he loves.  This will be his final year as a Cub Scout.  He'll cross over to Boy Scouts in the spring.  He also plans to join the school choir and continue to participate in student council as a peer mediator.  His 11th birthday is coming up in just a little over a month and he's trying to decide how he wants to celebrate.

A starts kindergarten this year.  My last baby is leaving the nest and going to school all day.  She's excited and a little nervous.  She wants to join the junior baton team and continue with her dance class.  She also wants to be a Girl Scout and has talked me into being the leader for her Daisy troop.  I'm a little nervous that all of that will be too much for her.  But we'll try it and see how it goes.  We can always make changes later if need be. 

As for me, I'll continue my duties as head homeroom mom at the school.  I've also taken on team mom duty for TP, and I'll be figuring out this Girl Scout troop leader thing.  And of course, the usual shuttling of kids, managing everyone's schedules, and making sure our lives run relatively smooth.  My plate will be full, but I like it that way.  I love being a part of what the kids are doing and sharing the journey with them.  I do have a little time for myself planned at the end of September.  I'm going away for a girls weekend with a group of friends. 

What does the school year hold for you and your family?          

2 comments:

Dan Benson said...

Make sure your in town for sept 25th so we can see you.

Sandy said...

We should be around. TP is supposed to have their first fall tourney that weekend, but hopefully it will be someplace close. And we can always work around the game schedule.