Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The First Sixteen years

February 1, 1996, the day that forever altered the course of my life.  It's the day I became a mom for the very first time and embarked on this journey that I've been on for the past sixteen years.  And it's the day that I met the first person I'd love unconditionally for his entire lifetime.

J was truly the easiest, happiest baby any mother could have hoped for.  He was always sunny, smiling, and good natured.  His heart of pure gold was evident to everyone who met him and we all took pleasure in spoiling him.  Even now as a teenager, he's still my easiest kid.

For the past sixteen years, J has filled my heart with so many wonderful memories.  And tonight, on the eve of his 16th birthday, those memories are running like a silent film through my mind's eye.  J as a baby barely able to sit up, holding the tiny plastic baseball bat my dad bought him. His first day of school. Becoming a big brother.  His first Little League game.  The first time he said, "mommy I'm going to be a baseball player."  School pageants, dances, and field trips.  His 8th grade graduation.  His first day of high school.  Swim meets.   Countless baseball games. Trying out for TP.  The list of memories goes on and on, and I hold each one near and dear to my heart.

The older he gets, the more bittersweet the passing of time becomes for me.  I'm so thankful to have a healthy, happy son who is living life to the fullest, pursuing his dreams, and rapidly approaching adulthood.  But I'm also reminded with every passing day that we're getting closer to the time when my baby will spread his wings and leave the nest, changing my world forever once again.

No comments: