Friday, June 17, 2011

Brotherly Support

Like many siblings, J and N don't always get along.   They are very different in personality, temperament, and interests.  If they go a whole day without arguing or complaining about each other, I mark it down on the calendar as the day a miracle occurred.  But every so often, they make my heart smile when they have each other's backs.  This time it's N trying to show support for his brother.

N is not into baseball.  At all.  In fact, he usually complains about all the time he has to spend at J's games.  Loudly.  To anyone who will listen.  At the start of the summer there was a lot of whining about all the tournaments we'd have to attend.  But something has changed in the past week.  After last weekend's exciting tournament, N has changed his view on those "boring" tournaments.  He suddenly can't wait to get down to Boca this weekend.  Now, some of this may be due to the fact that he found the craziness of that last game a little too exciting.  I've told him not to expect a repeat.  (Hopefully!)  But he still insists he wants to go, even after I gave him the option of staying behind with his grandmother.  He needs to be there to cheer on Team TP he says.  He's spent the week trying to get involved in all the baseball talk that goes on in our house, and asking J questions about his team.  He's actually acting proud of his brother, instead of telling him baseball is dumb.  I like to think that deep down he really is proud of his big brother, even if he doesn't always show it. 

I'm not sure how long this cooperative attitude will last.  I'll just enjoy it while it does and when the complaining starts again, I'll have the sweet memory of N cheering on his brother to help me keep my sanity.

No comments: