Monday, June 6, 2011

Tournament Weekend One, Kissimmee

As promised, I will be sharing our experiences traveling to baseball tournaments this summer.  J's team competed in their first tournament of the summer this past weekend.  It was a learning experience in many ways. 

First things first.  How did team TP do?  Over two days, they played a total of six games, with 4 losses and two wins.  They played hard and ended up taking third place overall.  Not too shabby for a team that has only been playing together for a little over a month.  Coach C was pleased with their efforts and expects they will continue to do well as the summer progresses. 

Since this was our first time attending a weekend long tournament, I tried to be prepared.  And I was for the most part.  The first day, team TP played on the field of a high school located next to the main tournament site.  We had a cooler full of food and drinks, and pretty much stayed in one place for the whole day.  However, the second day they played at the main tournament site, which was the spring training complex for the Houston Astros.  Coolers were not allowed in.  There was a concession stand but it really didn't have anything beyond stale nachos and hot dogs.  And the prices made me feel like I was at a major theme park.  It's a large complex and we had to move to a different field for all three games.  Which meant collapsing the shade canopy, folding up chairs, and hiking to the next field.  Which was always at the opposite end of the complex.  We'll be at this same complex next weekend and I'm trying to come up with ways to make it easier.  First of all, I found out after the fact that players ARE allowed to bring in a small personal cooler.  So I plan to get one for J and pack it full of drinks, food, and frozen towels.  He can keep it with him and not have to be dependent on us to be able to get what he needs.  I will also pack my big cooler and leave it in the car.  I would rather walk out to the parking lot for a drink or snack than pay the ridiculous concession prices or be stuck with nothing more than chips or hot dogs to eat.  If there are less than three family members attending, the shade canopy is staying home.  Beach umbrellas attached to each folding chair with a small bungee cord will be much easier to put up and down several times in a day. 

All in all our first tournament experience went well.  I fully expect next weekend to be better.  We only have to travel an hour from home again and I aim to be even better prepared.  I'm not sure if  N and A will be going with me.  My dad is, but hubby has to work and my mom has things to do.  She's offered to keep the younger kids with her but I'm not sure yet what we'll do.  Whatever I decide, I'm sure we'll have fun and see some great games again.  

No comments: