Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My Birthday Girl

After N was born, hubby and I debated for a few years on whether or not to add a third child to our family.  Hubby was content with two, but I never felt like our family was quite complete.  Eventually hubby came around to my way of thinking and we found out A was on the way in May of 2005.  I can honestly tell you I would have been thrilled to have another boy but I was over the moon excited when we found out at 20 weeks that A was a girl.  My mom and I lasted less than 48 hours after the ultrasound before we were out buying all the pink and purple we could get our hands on.  And on January 18, 2006, A made her debut into the world, forever changing our family.

Even before birth A was full of sass.  She was the toughest of my three pregnancies and deliveries, giving me everything from raging heartburn to gestational diabetes.  She was feisty, stubborn, and independent right from the start, often earning herself the nickname the cranky princess.  As a toddler she was lightening quick and had a fondness for pouring everything from lotion to syrup onto the floor the second my back was turned.  More than once I found myself both exasperated and amused at her antics.  She's never been shy about letting us know what she wants, when she wants it.  And she protests, loudly, when she doesn't get her way.  A's sass and vinegar as I like to call it, is a large part of who she is. But there's also a softer, sweeter side to her personality.  She's a little girl who loves her stuffed bunny, reading bedtime stories, and tagging along after her big brothers.  She is equal parts tomboy and girly girl and part of her charm is never knowing which facet of her personality will be evident  at any given moment.  She's wickedly funny; we never know what she's going to say or do next.    Whatever it is, it usually makes us laugh, even when we probably shouldn't.

For six years, A has been turning our world on end and we wouldn't have it any other way.  She completed our family in a way that only she could.  When she was a few weeks old, I was changing her diaper  when hubby came into her room.  "You were right," he said.  I asked about what.  "About our family not being complete.  I can't imagine our lives without her."

Happy Sixth Birthday my sweet, sassy girl!  

No comments: