Monday, January 16, 2012

Tryout Time

Tomorrow is the first day of tryouts for the high school baseball team.  J is relaxed and calm tonight, completely confident in his ability to be selected for the team.  He's done everything he can to prepare.  He's followed his training program for twenty-one weeks, and continues to do so, with a few changes.  He attended three weeks of conditioning that the head coach held before the holidays.  He's spent the week practicing and brushing up on his hitting, throwing, and fielding.  He's as ready as he can possibly be.

So why do I have a knot in the pit of my stomach that will likely remain there until the results of the tryouts are posted next Monday?  Because worrying and being nervous about the tryouts is just part of being a baseball mom.  J, hubby, and Coach C aren't worried or nervous.  They're all confident in J's ability to make the team.  I am, too.  But I'll still worry and be nervous this week.  All of the what ifs and could go wrongs will run through my mind, even though J made the team last year.  I'll worry because sometimes even when you've done everything right, things don't always work out.

Despite the nerves and worrying I'll do this week, I'm also excited.  J has worked long and hard to get to this point and I know in my heart he's going to go out on that field this week and give his all.  Coach C is confident he'll be one of the most, if not the most, physically conditioned player on the field, a payoff of all this training.  I'm confident he'll play with the most heart of any player there, knowing that he has the support of hubby, his siblings,Coach C, our family and friends.  He knows he has my support 100%, too, because after all, his mama is his biggest fan.  

No comments: