Monday, May 28, 2012

Tournament Weekend One, Perfect Game Memorial Day Classic

TP started their season off with a bang this weekend in the Perfect Game Memorial Day Classic in Fort Myers.  This was a huge tournament, with 70 16U teams competing.  Ours boys finished the tournament with a 3-1 record, with a total of 30 runs scored over four games.  They just missed being in the top 16 teams to advance to the playoff rounds.  Coach C is very pleased with their performance in this tournament.  Perfect Game runs some of the best tournaments in the country, so the fact that they did so well is a huge accomplishment for the team.  They can only go up from here!  Here's a quick recap of their four games.

Game one was theirs from the moment they took the field.  They pounded out the hits, scoring 12 runs and winning the game 12-1.  Their defense was rock solid and they never gave the other team an inch. We had a three hour break, then it was time for game two.  Unfortunately game two was the one that tripped them up.  They fought hard, but some costly errors turned the tide in the other teams favor.  They lost that one, 7-5.  On Sunday, they had two back to back games starting at 8:00 in the morning.  Game three was a nail biter, scoreless for five innings until the opposing team snuck in and scored a run.  TP kept pushing though, and in the top of the 7th inning, one of our boys cranked out a double with the bases loaded.  Three runs scored off that hit, giving TP a 2 run lead.  The bottom of the 7th was tense, with the other team scoring another run, but in the end, TP triumphed and won that game 3-2.  Game four they again owned the field from the first pitch.  Their bats were lit up, defense was solid, and they won 10-2.  In fact, the ump cut the game short in the 5th inning due to the mercy rule.

A was in heaven being back on the road with the team.  She ran tame in the dugouts, wearing her one of a kind TP shirt made for her by my friend C.  Here's a picture of her in it:

   






 It has her name and the number 1 on the back.  The number was Coach C's pick,  She was so excited to have it to wear for the weekend.  As soon as we all got to the hotel she had to put it on and go down to show Coach C.  She wore it to all the games and is convinced her sparkles brought the team good luck.

I spent the weekend running the scoring app on Coach C's ipad.  I had a little experience with it since I have the same app on my iphone and used it to score a few of J's high school games.  I was nervous doing it this weekend though because there are a lot of details and rules of the game that I don't have a solid grasp of.  However, Coach C handed me the ipad, saying he was confident I would pick it up quickly.  I think I did okay.  I was able to enter everything accurately with a little help from a few other parents helping me keep track of what was happening.  At least Coach C hasn't called yet to ask what the heck kind of scoring I was doing!  I'm hoping that means everything was accurate and made sense.

Next weekend we head to Kissimmee for our second tournament.  I'll actually be missing the first day of that one since A has her recital for dance and baton.  It's an all day affair so J will be catching a ride to and from the tournament with Coach C, and I'll be requesting texted updates throughout the day from the two of them.    I'll be there on Sunday cheering TP on as they hopefully play for a championship trophy.

No comments: